We service short-term, unmet food needs of individuals in the Greater Baton Rouge area through existing or social service providers, churches/synagogues and other organizations.
Our mission is to feed the hungry in Baton Rouge and the surrounding parishes by providing food and educational outreach through faith-based and other community partners.
What is a Food Bank?
A food bank is a nonprofit organization which solicits, procures, inventories, and warehouses donated food and other products. This food is then distributed to a variety of community agencies such as pantries, meal sites, homes, shelters, and soup kitchens which serve the people in need.
The Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank…
- is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- has served the hungry for more than 25 years
- provides food to more than 130 charitable agencies completely free of charge
- serves 11 parishes
- distributed more than 9.5 million meals of food in 2012
- is aggressive in food collection; 94% of food distributed was donated
- provides 5 meals for each dollar donated
- operates efficiently; administrative costs are just under 4 percent of the total operating budget
- relies on community support; last year, more than 1,700 volunteers donated time equivalent to roughly 13 full-time employees
- is an affiliate of Feeding America, the nationwide network of food banks and food rescue organizations
Parishes We Serve:
- East Baton Rouge
- East Feliciana
- Pointe Coupee
- St. Helena
- St. James
- West Baton Rouge
- West Feliciana
How Can You Help?
Donate Funds – Financial donations are a great way to assist in ongoing hunger relief efforts. There are many ways to help:
- “from Hunger to Hope” Capital Campaign
- Planned giving
- Bucks for Trucks
- BackPack program
- Honorariums and Memorials
- General Operating Funds
- “Thibodeaux Turkey” and “Pierre Pig”
- and Many More…
Click here to Donate Now.
Volunteer – Volunteers are the heart and spirit of the Food Bank. In 2012, more than 1,700 volunteers donated time equivalent to 13 full-time employees.
- sort and separate donated food
- assist with special events and office duties
- help with collection barrels
Donate Food – Food drives are fundamental in hunger relief.
- Your school, organization, or office can host a food drive. It is easy and fun. Fill out an online food drive registration or download the form and fax it to the food bank. We will bring red Food Bank barrels to the specific location and come pick them up.
Click here to learn more about donating food.